South Bay Rapid began a limited service route in September 2018 between the East Palomar Station at Interstate 805 (I-805) in Chula Vista and Downtown San Diego. View Schedule. View Route Map.
In early 2019, South Bay Rapid service will expand to full service and operate along a 26-mile route between the Otay Mesa Transit Center and Downtown San Diego.
After several years of planning and collaboration with South County communities, construction is underway on South Bay Rapid, a $128 million effort to provide travelers with a frequent and reliable transit choice.
When completed, South Bay Rapid will include 12 stations along a 26-mile route from the Otay Mesa Port of Entry to Downtown San Diego via eastern Chula Vista, connecting to employment and activity centers in Downtown San Diego and South County.
At the heart of the project is the dedicated transit guideway – a nearly six-mile-long transit-only lane being constructed in the median of East Palomar Street and along Eastlake Parkway in Chula Vista.
Construction is currently taking place in these areas within the cities of Chula Vista and San Diego:
- East Palomar Street (I-805 to Heritage Road, Chula Vista) – this segment of the transit guideway is currently under construction and is expected to be completed in 2018.
- East Palomar Street (Heritage Road to Olympic Parkway, Chula Vista) – this segment of the transit guideway was completed in 2017.
- Guideway Bridge/Eastlake Parkway (Magdalena Avenue to State Route 125, Town Center Drive to Birch Road, Chula Vista) – this segment includes the guideway bridge over SR 125 and the transit guideway adjacent to Otay Ranch Town Center. Work is expected to be completed in 2018.
- Millenia Station (Millenia Project, Chula Vista) - construction began in September 2017 and is expected to be completed in 2018.
- Otay Mesa Transit Center (Nicola Tesla Court, San Diego) – construction began in June 2017 and is expected to be completed in 2018.
Rapid service in the South Bay will be operated by the San Diego Metropolitan Transit System.
Sign-up to receive email updates about this project.