The Uptown Regional Bikeways project will create connections within neighborhoods, improve streets, and create links to the larger bike network being built throughout the region. The bikeways will provide on-street bicycle facilities from Old Town and Mission Valley through Uptown to Downtown; it also will build a facility from Uptown to North Park and University Heights and then up to Balboa Park. The Uptown bikeways project was identified in the San Diego Regional Bike Plan and includes one of the first groups of high priority projects identified in the bike plan to be funded for implementation. More information is available on the project's fact sheet. Information from recent community meetings is available under the Community Involvement tab.
After extensive public outreach efforts and preliminary analysis, bikeway alignments that appear to best meet project objectives – and present the most opportunity to create an excellent community asset – have been identified along all 12 miles of the three bikeway corridors. The alignments were evaluated against five goals:
- Mobility: Increase choices; connect communities
- Experience: Improve travel safety for everyone, and create an exceptional biking experience
- Community: Build on and support related community initiatives
- Placemaking: Enhance community identity and public spaces
- Economic Development: Improve public infrastructure and strengthen opportunities for community and business development
More detailed engineering analysis and environmental studies will be conducted over the next year to evaluate design solutions. The project team also will work to identify opportunities to align the bikeway designs with existing community initiatives to achieve the best project possible.
- Engineering analysis, cost feasibility, and environmental review
- Collaboration with public agencies and community organizations to solve design challenges and identify opportunities for enhancements
- Direct outreach to residents and businesses along bikeway alignments
- Project updates via presentations to community groups, email, and social media
Beth Robrahn, AICP
Project Manager | Uptown Regional Bikeways Project
401 B Street, Suite 800
San Diego, CA 92101