The Uptown Bikeways will create connections within neighborhoods, improve streets, and create links to the larger bikeway network being built throughout the region. The project will provide on-street connections from Old Town and Mission Valley through Uptown to Downtown; and from Uptown to North Park and University Heights to Balboa Park. The
Uptown Bikeways is one of the first high priority projects identified in the San
Diego Regional Bike Plan to be funded for implementation. More information is available on the project's fact sheet. Information from community meetings conducted during the planning phase alignment analysis is available under the Community Involvement tab.
After extensive public outreach efforts and preliminary analysis, conducted throughout 2013 during the project planning phase, bikeway alignments that appear to best meet project objectives – and present the most opportunity to create an excellent community asset – have been identified along all 12 miles of the project. The alignments were evaluated against five goals:
- Mobility: Increase choices; connect communities
- Experience: Improve travel safety for everyone, and create an exceptional biking experience
- Community: Build on and support related community initiatives
- Placemaking: Enhance community identity and public spaces
- Economic Development: Improve public infrastructure and strengthen opportunities for community and business development
Since the completion of the planning phase in early 2014, work on preliminary engineering and design has been underway. This includes detailed engineering analysis and technical studies of the proposed designs for 12 miles of bikeways along the three major project routes. Numerous potential solutions to primary concerns and challenges have been explored. Analysis continues and will provide a better understanding of the design solutions, determine design feasibility, and align the project with existing community initiatives in order to achieve the best project possible.
Next Steps - 2015
There is still much work to be done on the Uptown Bikeways project and community conversations are important to the evolution of the design. Next steps include:
- present current status of the project to the SANDAG Transportation Committee, a policy committee of our Board of Directors, and request direction on specific segments going forward
- continued engineering analysis, cost feasibility, and environmental review
- continued collaboration with public agencies and community organizations to solve design challenges and identify opportunities for enhancements
- direct outreach to residents and businesses along bikeway alignments
- project updates via presentations to community groups, email, and social media
The project team will build on recent community dialogue and continue to refine design solutions to balance the need for improved and safer places to bike and walk, transit efficiency, public safety, and quality of life.
Beth Robrahn, AICP
Active Transportation Planner
401 B Street, Suite 800
Contact the project manager to sign up to receive project updates by email.