I-805 South Express Lanes Project
The Interstate I-805 (I-805) South Express Lanes Project area is roughly 11 miles, between East Palomar Street in Chula Vista and the I-805/State Route 15 (SR 15) interchange in San Diego. The project includes the addition of carpool (HOV)/Express Lanes within the freeway median. Additionally, the project includes the construction of a Direct Access Ramp (DAR) at East Palomar Street in Chula Vista that will connect to the carpool/Express Lanes, as well as intermediate access points, direct connectors, in-line transit stations, and park & ride locations. The I-805 South Express Lanes Project will be constructed in two major phases. Construction began on the first phase of the project in summer 2012.
Modern New Transportation Backbone
The I-805 South Express Lanes Project is an integral part of a modern, new transportation backbone that will meet the future needs of travelers in our region. Since the I-805 opened in 1975, vehicle trips on the freeway have increased by 300 percent.
Improvements to I-805 will help accommodate the projected population and employment growth in the region by connecting employment and activity centers including offices, shopping, recreational facilities, communities and schools. Improvements to I-805 also will help maintain and grow the region’s economy, through the enhanced movement of goods and services along a main transportation artery for the region.
The project corridor links San Diego to the Otay Mesa Port of Entry, as well as Orange, Riverside, and Los Angeles counties. It is critical for both international and interregional shipping. The Otay Mesa Port of Entry accommodates 96 percent of commercial truck traffic in the region and handles more than $28 billion in goods each year.
The project will cost an estimated $1.4 billion to complete. Funding is expected to come from a combination of federal, state, and local programs, including the local TransNet half-cent sales tax for transportation projects.
Phase 1 (2012-2014)
Work in Phase 1 includes building one carpool, or HOV, lane, in each direction along an eight-mile segment stretching from East Palomar Street in Chula Vista to State Route 94 (SR 94) in San Diego. Phase 1 also includes the construction of a DAR and a Transit Station and Park & Ride at East Palomar Street in Chula Vista. Additionally, 10 sound walls will be constructed along the route to help mitigate freeway noise and enhance the quality of life for neighboring communities.
- Carpool Lanes – Construction began in summer 2012 on one carpool lane in each direction along an eight-mile segment of the freeway stretching from East Palomar Street in Chula Vista to SR 94 in San Diego. This project, which traverses Chula Vista, National City and San Diego, is expected to open to traffic in early 2014. The carpool lanes will help improve traffic flow, alleviate congestion on the highway and will serve a planned Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system, carpools, vanpools, motorcycles and permitted clean air vehicles. (view map)
- East Palomar Street DAR/Transit Station and Park & Ride – Construction began on the East Palomar DAR, Transit Station and Park & Ride in spring 2013. The project will provide travelers with convenient access to the BRT, and offer a convenient location from which carpools, vanpools, motorcycles and permitted clean air vehicles can access the carpool lanes. The project is expected to be completed in late 2014.
- Sound Walls – Construction began in fall 2013 to build sound walls along the project area to help reduce freeway noise and enhance the quality of life for neighboring communities. Phase 1 includes the construction of 10 sound walls and is expected to be completed in late 2014. The I-805 South Express Lanes Project, once Phase 2 is completed, will include more than 60 proposed sound walls.
Phase 2 (2015-2020)
The second phase of the I-805 South Express Lanes Project will further expand transportation choices by building out the carpool lanes into Express Lanes for a total of four lanes, two in each direction, allowing for solo drivers using FasTrak®. Phase 2 also includes the addition of in-line transit stations and direct freeway-to-freeway HOV connectors. Pending funding, the second phase is scheduled to be completed in 2020.
- Express Lanes – Express Lanes will be constructed in the center of the freeway between East Palomar Street and the I-805/SR 15 interchange. The Express Lanes will serve the BRT, carpools, vanpools, buses, motorcycles, permitted clean air vehicles and solo drivers using FasTrak®.
- Transit Stations – In-line transit stations will be constructed at East H Street in Chula Vista and Plaza Boulevard in National City. These stops will provide convenient access to the BRT system and reduce travel times by eliminating the need for buses to exit the freeway. An additional in-line transit station along I-805 near the 47th Street Trolley Station is currently being studied in collaboration with the Southeast San Diego Community. For more information about this project, please click here.
- Direct Connectors – Direct freeway-to-freeway HOV connectors between I-805 and SR 15 will allow seamless transitions between the carpool lanes. The direct connectors will help maintain consistent traffic speed within the Express Lanes. A direct connector at SR 94 is planned as part of a separate project.
Construction notices are available under the Construction Notices tab.
Safety is a top priority for Caltrans. Every precaution will be taken to ensure the protection of both workers and motorists during construction. In an effort to keep the community informed, Caltrans will provide regular updates on construction hours, closures and detours through signage, notices, and this web page. A construction hotline also has been established at (888) 941-5005.
Fact Sheet: I-805 South Project - English | En Español (Posted 9/9/13)
I-805 Managed Lanes South Project: Final Environmental Impact Report/Environmental Assessment with Finding of No Significant Impact
Presentation to Community Groups: I-805 South Project - Building Choices for Travelers